Important information - renting a car in Sweden
Driving in Sweden
Driving in a new country can be difficult when you don't know the rules or the language spoken. Therefore, we have collected and compiled all the neccesary information about driving, parking and what to do if your car breaks down in Sweden. Click on the headings to read more about each topic.
Enjoy your stay!
Which side of the road?
In Sweden, please drive on the RIGHT side of the road.
Country driving laws
- It is not permitted to use a mobile phone or GPS in any manner that could be deemed detrimental to driving.
- Note: there is a Congestion charge in Stockholm and Goteborg/Gothenburg.
- Please be aware of animals such as Moose and Deer when driving.
- When driving in Sweden, your headlights must always be switched on and on dipped beam, even in daytime.
Speed limits between 18 mph (30 km/h) and 74 mph (120 km/h) are operative in Sweden.
Swedish speed limits are determined by the quality of the road surface. Please use road signs to determine the correct speed.
On many roads speed cameras are installed to remind motorists not to exceed the speed limit. If you do and are stopped by the police, you will have to pay a fine. You may even lose your licence if you are caught speeding.
Child safety / Seatbelt laws
- It is compulsory for the driver and all passengers to wear a seatbelt
- Children aged under 12 or less than 135cm tall must be seated in an appropriate child restraint for their size
Please note - It is the child’s parent/guardian or vehicle renter’s responsibility to fit the child seat.
Sweden has three different types of parking, free parking, paid parking and parking that requiers a parking card (p-skiva). The parking signs are present throughout the country and indicate that the place is a parking spot as well as what limitations or possibilities it offers. They consist of a large upper signal with the letter P and in many cases other signs in the lower part that indicate the parking conditions in that area.
If you do not follow these parking regulations you will recieve a parking fee.
If there is no additional information to the parking sign the parking is free.
If the parking sign says Avgift (Fee) the parking is not free. In parenthesis it will inform you between what hours you have to pay, i.e. (8-15). Outside those hours, the parking is free.
There are multiple ways of paying; apps or a parking meter. The sign will tell you what app to use. However, EasyPark is one of the most common.
In Sweden you are sometimes allowed to park for free for a short period of time. The parking sign will then tell you to use a Parking Card (P-skiva). Place the card inside or outside the vehicle by rounding the clock to the half hour after arrival at the car park. If you arrive at 09:38 pm, you set it at 10:00 pm.
Street parking can be confusing in a new country. A general rule is that if you do not see a marked parking lot (a white P on a blue background) you can not park.
- - You can only park in the direction of street traffic.
- - The vehicle can not be parked for more than 24 hours in the same place on weekdays.
- - You can not park next to containers or in double row. Neither in preferred streets marked with the yellow rhombus on white rhombus.
- - You can not park or stop less than 10 meters from crossings, corners, zebra crossings, crossing bicycle lanes, pedestrian crossings, etc.
Contact us – New customer service issue?
Complete the form here in order to speed up the process
Tel: (+46) 0770 - 82 00 82, button selection 2 for customer service, then press 1 if you have had an insurance hire or are calling from an insurance or leasing company. Press 2 for all other questions regarding a completed rental.
Examine your car for damages before leaving the station. Check the inside and outside. Photo document possible damages.
Zone 1: Front
1. Check the bumper, bonnet, fog lights, spoiler, grille, roof. windscreen and badge
Zone 2: interitor
2. When recording mileage and fuel, check: seats, carpets, glass headlining, dashboard, trim panels, radio/CD
Zone 3: Right side
3. Wind, lights. bumper corner
4. Front wheel/wheel trim, tyre
5. Door, handles/locks, all side panels, roof, sill
6. Back wheel/wheel trim, tyre
7. Wing, tailgate, bumper corner
Zone 4: Rear
8. Wash wiper, number plate, exhaust, spare wheel, boot handle/lock, badge, boot/tailgate, roof, bumper, rear panel
9. Parcel shelf, carpets, CD changer, spare wheel, tyre, tool kit, tyre repair kit
Zone 5: Left side
10. Wing, tailgate, bumper corner
11. Back wheel/wheel trim, tyre
12. Door, handles/locks, all side panels, roof, sill
13. Front wheel/wheel trim, tyre
14. Wind, lights. bumper corner
- - Call the number for road assistance +46 (0)8 587 447 51
- - Rembember to not leave the car without ensuring that it is safe
- - Fill in the i the accident form in your rental agreement
- - If necessary, immediately call the police in case of liability towards third parties and/or ambulance if someone has been injured.
- - Write down the names and addresses of all people involved and any witnesses, do not admit liability.
- - Do not repair the car without our formal approval.
- Avis Select Series cars can be rented at major airports and in major central locations. Please note that not all Select Series cars are available at all rental locations.
- Select Series cars can only be delivered to or from the locations listed above. The car must be left at the same station it was picked up at.
- Book as usual by selecting the rental date and location. In the next step, you can reserve your Avis Select Series car.
In order to guarantee make and model, reservations must be made at least 48 hours in advance.
- The price applies to a limited number of vehicles and subject to availability with reservation for final sale.
- Equipment level and color vary.
- In some cases, Avis may not be able to offer the vehicle you have selected due to mechanical faults or late returns from previous customers. If this occurs, the customer will receive another rental car. We will do our best to offer a different premium vehicle, depending on what vehicles are available that day.
- Our standard terms and conditions apply.